Friday, August 27, 2010

The Red Box is Back



I remember when my guy friends introduced me to Dungeons and Dragons. They showed me which players handbook I needed to go get and that I would need a set of my own dice. Great!

Coming home from school elated over the idea of playing this newfound game, I told my mom with much excitement that we needed to go shopping for these game materials. She smiled and said "Oh I used to play that". WHAT?!?!

The proof was in the attic. She had the original Blue Box and Red Box from 1970's and early 80's. I had fun looking at this basic set that was supposed to get you used to the rules of playing DnD. Problem? Well yes. My guyfriends were playing Advanced Dungeons and Dragons 2nd edition when I was in 9th grade so the ruleset would give me a basic knowledge of what I would be playing but would not prepare me for the complexity of the 2nd edition character sheet (at that time..... bite me I was in 9th grade and hated math!)

I been playing DnD for over 16 years now and I have quite a collection of books from nearly every edition. What brought back those initial memories for my life addiction was seeing the reprint of the Red Box at the local game shop. Threw me for a loop to see that box wrapped in plastic. Viewing the back and the contents shocked me. They revamped everything to the 4th edition ruleset!


This box has dice, maps, tokens, character sheets, condensed Dungeon Masters Manual and Players Handbook. It looks awesome and even though it brings a smile to my face for nostalgia's sake, I wonder if it will truly appeal to the new generation of gamers. At least they will have a much better time transitioning from the boxed set to the regular rulebooks then I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment